Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Granada

There is a famous and hugely popular Spanish song about Granada. Now After my visit, I understand what all the singing is about-Granada is absolutely spectacular!! 

     This past weekend I finally visited a region in the south of Spain, Granada! Granada is the capital of the province of Granada and in the community of Andalusia, Spain. It is located at the end of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. Granada is special because its culture and architecture is marked by a strong Arabic influence. Granada is the location of the famous Alhambra, a palace or fortress built for the last Muslin emirs in Spain in the year 889. Unlike my other journeys, I booked this trip through a student tour group called "Be Madrid." The trip was only 70 Euros and it included transportation to Granada,one night in a hotel plus breakfast, guided tours and entry tickets to the Alhambra. Thus, in the company of Yesenia,one of my study abroad friends, We met the tour group very early Saturday morning at La Plaza de Toros in Madrid. We boarded a huge tour bus and 5 hours later we arrived in magnificent Granada. After a quick pit stop at our  beautiful 4 star hotel (What a surprise!)  we set off to explore. Since we had a little bit of free time before our first tour, my friend and I decided we were going to grab something to eat. To our surprise a lot of the bars and restaurants were closed. We kept wandering around until we saw this quaint cafeteria. We walked in to find there were only a few patrons. We were hungry and looking for something quick. We ordered a simple grilled chicken sandwich with cheese, tomato and lettuce.  This sandwich was amazing! I wish I remembered the location and name of the place but the sandwich was simply out of this world! After this great lunch, we walked back to the hotel to start our tour. 
 

     Our very informative tour guide led us step by step into the heart of the old Moorish part of the city. After passing through the  "puerta" or door from the new city to the olde city center, the landscape instantly changed.  The streets became narrow and steep;while the houses turned into village styled white stone haciendas. It looked like the Granada my mother had described to me from memory. We continued to climb deeper and deeper into the town until we came to a plaza on top of a hill that overlooked the magnificent Alhambra. This view truly allowed you to appreciate the majesty and gorgeous detail of this historical structure. This was the last tour of the day and we had free time until later when we planned on hitting the town.  Because I had a Spanish final that coming Tuesday, Yesenia and I grabbed a quick dinner to go and returned to the hotel. While she napped, I studied for my exam and ate dinner. Later that night Yesenia and I socialized with the locals and our tour mates went at a discoteca called El Camborio. This discoteca sat high atop a mountain; inside a glass wall backdrop over looked the Alhambra.  We danced the night away with the best view ever! 










      The following day we woke up at 9 am and headed downstairs for breakfast. Breakfast was beyond belief and included everything from fruit to crepes, pancakes, churros, eggs and chocolate croissants. It was so delicious. I hadn’t had a single pancake the entire time I was in Spain so yes I gorged a little. After breakfast we boarded the bus to visit  the Alhambra. As soon as we arrived we didn’t waste any time, exploring every nook and cranny we could find. The Alhambra was like a little royal village. Within its walls there were different palaces, villas and gardens where Arabic royals of the past lived. For me, the gardens in the Court of the Lions were the most impressive part. Arabic architecture is extremely colorful, beautiful and intricate. I can only imagine how beautiful the Alhambra must be  during the spring when all the flowers are in bloom!! After visiting the Alhambra we walked back to the town center for a late lunch. Today we feasted on churrasco steak prior to boarding the bus and heading back to Madrid. A little studying, a little talking and a little sleeping made the 5 hours go quickly.






     Granada is an utterly beautiful place with unique architecture and friendly citizens. I am so glad I had a chance to personally experience it!! Enjoy the pictures and chao for now. More studying awaits. 

And for your musical pleasure, here is a taste of Placido Domingo, Spain's finest opera singer, singing "Granada"