Tuesday, January 7, 2014

All Good Things Must Come to an End

Hola everyone!

 I am finally back in my home country! It’s crazy to think that just 4 months ago, I was on a U.S.Airlines flight, headed towards Madrid. The time has flown by so fast.  The holidays are over and I have had time to reflect, it is hard to believe that the same person that boarded that plane 4 months ago is the same person writing this post. In reality, I am only the same person in the physical sense. This experience has completely changed my outlook on life and changed who I am for the better.  It is so hard to describe the effect this experience has had on me and even harder to put it on paper. Sometimes words limit your expression. It is something that only people who have studied abroad can truly understand but, I am going to try my best to explain it all.



The past 4 months in Madrid and in Spain have been the best 4 months of my life as well as the hardest. When I first came to Spain I had no idea what to expect. Yes I had my tour book (Thanks Aubs!) and other guidelines. Yes I had my friendly advice from people who have gone abroad but I still did not understand the full ramifications of what I was doing.  I can still remember my first day at Comillas and at my residence hall like it was yesterday.  It was worse than freshman year of high school! I was nervous, sweaty and just plain lost. Luckily I met so many people that helped me find my way.

Comillas

 Over the course of my stay, my Spanish improved drastically (a personal goal achieved!!) and I was able to travel all over Spain. I learned so much about so many other cultures and most importantly about my own.  I feel like I was able to grow as a person, in a spiritual and mental way while in Madrid.  I learned how to be on my own, really on my own, and spend time alone. (a lot harder than it sounds)  In a way I feel like I was able to become the person I am meant to be and want to be.  I had to ultimately rely on me, myself and I, regarding all my personal decisions and challenges  I feel like I was able to blossom in Spain. I became a person who exuded happiness.  I was able to leave this study abroad experience a better, stronger and more understanding person.


It is truly amazing to think about all the things I was able to accomplish. I came to Madrid with only a few goals; to improve my Spanish and to enjoy the experience to the maximum. I was not only able to accomplish this, but I was able to accomplish so much more. I had the opportunity to explore most of the major and minor hotspots of Madrid as well as to travel all over Spain specifically but in no particular order, Barcelona, Bilbao, Vitoria, Santiago de Compustela, La Coruna, Cuenca, Salamanca, Segovia, Toledo and Granada. I was able to meet and live with amazing people from Spain and all over the world.   



Also noteworthy is the fact that I was able to adapt to a new lifestyle, food, culture,language, climate, time zone, eating and drinking habits, university atmosphere, academic standards, teaching and testing styles, and social customs and traditions. Additionally, I did lab research with an truly inspiring engineering professor and co-workers who treated me as one of their own at the University. Looking back on everything, I feel so lucky, actually blessed, that I was given this opportunity. The truth is I could not have done this without the help and support of my parents who also graciously sponsored this trip. I also want to thank my friends and family who sent me well wishes and love along the way. (Thanks guys!)


 My words of advice to anyone who is thinking about studying abroad:DO IT! It will be hard from beginning to end. You will feel uncomfortable sometimes and probably cry at least once but all the work and struggles are 100% worth it. You will make memories that will last a lifetime and meet people from all around the globe.  This experience teaches you so much about yourself and the world around you, like there is more awaiting you out on the horizon, so much more than you can ever imagine.

If you don't fight for your Dreams you will live in a Nightmare


Lastly, I want to officially thank from the bottom of my heart everyone who made the past 4 months in Madrid amazing. You know who you are!!! You made my experience even better; you were the icing on the study abroad cake. I am so thankful for your kindness and everything you did to help me and especially to correct my horrible Spanish grammar.  I am so grateful for the experience and everyone I met along the way! Last week I not only left Madrid with an unforgettable life changing experience but I left knowing I have amazing Amigos para Siempre in Spain. Como se dice, mi Casa es su Casa! 





Madrid will always be my second home. It is not goodbye....just Hasta Luego for now. Un beso!


HALA MADRID!